January 14, 2010

Living with All I've Got, All I Have

What matters? As I watch the news stories about Haiti, the scenes and pictures grab my emotions. Yes, I'm an emotional woman.

They invite with compassion tears down my face.  My ears sit up, though, and my heart beats attentive to what I hear.

Words like: fear, grief, heartbreak, down, dead, destroyed, rubble, gather inside my mind. I wonder what I can do that will matter to those who now live with what is no longer. On CNN, they show brief interviews of people sharing, showing and stating, "Look, this is all I've got."    Those words stay housed in my head, but not lightly.

I hear one anchor telling other stories of all they have to remember.  All is not an abundance of things, but perhaps a single picture or some small token of those who are now gone.

I watch hope in the face of a little girl who does not know the freedom we know because she is pinned underneath the rubble and many are trying to free her.  All she has are two free hands and half her body above the boulders that hold her legs down. I imagine how her mother must feel. I pray she will live and that no matter what she has God.

Tomorrow, if not today, think about Haiti. Think about all you've got, all you have when you think you don't have enough. Think about the little girl pinned down but through her tears holding on to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment