January 15, 2010

Fishing for Hope in Haiti

What matters? I can't sleep.

CNN has become my night light. Lately I am a net, catching words and stories from the news of Haiti. I am drawn to fishing for people stories that can reel in lessons of holding on to faith and the importance of not throwing faith away.

Today, my writing rod fills my blog with what the  media calls hopeful stories.  I gather the ones that tell of individuals who found someone they thought was gone. I watch with joy as one of the tiniest survivors cries out below the brick and underneath the mortar, telling her rescuers life is not over for all, reminding me of a  mother having just given birth.

Joy also fills my net when a friend or a stranger on Facebook posts contact has been  made with friend or family in Haiti. I am kept awake by every joyful story.

I cannot sleep, but I am not alone. I have many fishing rods by my side: my remote, the internet, and many different channels. They take me to places that have awakened the importance of not taking life for granted.

I am fishing for hope underneath the waters of sorrow and grief. I am hooked on survivors but I don't cast away the life that was lost. Life lost deserves its memories and is my teacher too.

I am fishing for reminders that no matter what life takes you through, as women, we must remind our self that life can still go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment